Blue Ridge Brew Off Homebrew Competition
BRBO 2013 General Information
Hosting Club: MALT – Mountain Ale and Lager Tasters – Asheville, North Carolina
Please review all the information below before submitting your Blue Ridge Brew Off entries. The registration link below can also be used to register as a Judge or Steward.
Welcome to the Blue Ridge Brew Off (BRBO). The Mountain Ale and Lager Tasters (MALT) BRBO event is one of the most fun and largest competitions in the region. Every year we judge nearly 500 entries in 28 Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style categories for beer, mead and cider including a Best Of Show. We are honored to be a qualifying event for the prestigious North American Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing (MCAB) and a qualifying event for the Carolina Brewer of the Year (CBoY) regional honors. In addition, an award is given in memory of esteemed MALT club member, Dr. George Fix for the highest scoring entry from a homebrewer who has been brewing for one year or less.
The Blue Ridge Brew Off is a sanctioned BJCP event and uses the 2008 BJCP style guidelines for judging. Entrants may send in an unlimited number of entries but are limited to one entry per sub-category. MALT reserves the right to combine style categories for judging and awards. All of the sub-categories of each category will be judged only with other subcategories of the same category. Categories will not be split among flights.
Quality judging is the primary goal of the Blue Ridge Brew Off. We make every effort to ensure that each entrant receives the best possible feedback for their entries. All entry submissions and payment in full must be received by the dates shown below. This deadline applies to every entrant, without exceptions. Late deliveries will not be returned. This procedure will allow MALT to conclude the competition in one day and better assure quality control.
Who can enter:
The Blue Ridge Brew Off is open to all homebrewers 21 years of age or older. Enter early and enter often. Your entries will be assigned a competition-internal registration number based on random selection independent of time of entry. Beers must be brewed at home. Beer brewed in a commercial brewery or a brew-on-premises facility (BOP) is not allowed. Fresh malt extract from a brewery is acceptable as long as the boiling and fermentation and all subsequent steps are conducted off-premises by the homebrewer who enters the brew in the competition or on-premises using the homebrewers equipment.
If multiple brewers produced any of the brews to be entered, a separate registration must be made for each unique set of brewers. Each registration must include a unique Email address. For example if you have entries which you brewed by yourself and entries which you brewed with a friend, two registrations are required. A separate field is provided to identify multiple brewers with a team name. The Brewer’s Team Name field is limited to 35 characters maximum (about 6 words). For multiple brewers, Awards will be made to the named team, not the point of contact or the members of the team. Similarly, award data for subsequent points computation for honors such as brewer-of-the-year will be credited only to the named team or the individual brewer as registered prior to the judging. Accordingly, completing the Brewer’s Team Name field is mandatory if there was more than one person who participated in producing the brew. For the single brewer case, the Brewer’s Team Name field must be left blank. MCAB competitors can and should use the First Name, Last Name and Team Name fields to best describe their teaming arrangement. See MCAB Qualifying Brewers for examples.
Blue Ridge Brew Off Cost:
$6 per entry for all entries.
Entrants may send in an unlimited number of entries but are limited to one entry per sub-category.
Special Note On Awards:
MALT donates all of the net competition proceeds to the tax-exempt 501c3 chartable corporation Helpmate Inc. Helpmate provides aid at no cost to victims of domestic violence. By providing safety, shelter, counseling, and advocacy, they empower each client to create a life that is free of violence. For this reason, prizes are limited to Beer Best Of Show and Mead/Cider Best Of Show winners. Our customary ribbons are awarded to all 3 flight winners and Best Of Show winners. The Dr. Fix award winner will receive a special award.
- 8/1/13 Opening day for on-line registration. Also the first day for receiving entries at the shipping address.
- 9/6/13 Closing day for on-line registration (5:00 pm). Last day for receiving entries at the shipping address and at alternate drop off locations. Last day for completing the payment transactions for entry fees.
- 9/14/13 The BRBO competition. The competition concludes with an awards ceremony and hand-out of scoresheets.
- 9/15/13 Results will be posted on the BRBO Winners page. Entrants with a valid email address will receive scoresheets with scoring data via email.
- 9/16/13 Remaining scoresheets will be mailed to entrants.
- 9/19/13 The competition organizer report filed with BJCP. Remaining ribbons mailed to entrants.
What kind of bottles are eligible:
Twelve ounce brown longnecks with plain silver or gold caps are required. The bottles must have no raised markings or labels except the rubber-band attached competition label. Grolsch-type swing tops, growlers or any other types of bottles are not acceptable. We will be unable to return any bottles or shipping materials.
How many bottles are required/recommended:
Number of bottles required/recommended for judging.
2 bottles for BJCP categories; 3, 4, 5, 7, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24 thru 28.
3 bottles for all other categories.
Special note for all entrants. We expect a mini Best Of Show flight for certain categories based on data from past years. Overall 3 bottles are required as noted on the registration page. However entrants who are primarily interested in the judge’s feedback need only submit 2 bottles for all categories. Entrants who are primarily competing for awards/honors should submit 3 bottles for all categories especially those which are expected to require a mini Best Of Show as indicated above. If in doubt, submit 3. Only one entry per BJCP sub-category.
How do I enter:
1. Prepare 2 or 3 bottles of each of your beers, meads or ciders based on the recommendations above.
2. All registration must be done on-line. Complete the on-line entry form and print and cut-out the 2 or 3 bottle labels per entry.
3. Attach a bottle label to each bottle with a rubber band. Do Not Use Glue or Tape. It is advisable to enclose each label in a plastic (sandwich) bag to avoid smearing in the event of broken bottles during transit. If the entries are to be picked up by MALT, plastic bags for the labels must be used. MALT pickup information is to be announced at a later date.
4. Make payment via PayPal to MALTasheville@gmail.com for the total of your entries. Check or cash will also accepted at the shipping/drop-off location listed below. The fee is $6 per entry.
5. Drop off your entries or make your shipping arrangements with the carrier of your choice to the address listed below. Also see Mike Dixon’s posting on JudgeNet on shipping advice. MALT will be providing a pickup service to select locations in North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. This service will be coordinated with local homebrew clubs and shops.
5. We will ensure that entries are well cared for once they reach the destination and will be transferred to a cool dark location as soon as possible.
The Highland Brewing Co.
12 Old Charlotte Hwy
Asheville, NC 28803
Entry and fee drop-off address:
The Highland Brewing Co.
12 Old Charlotte Hwy
Asheville, NC 28803
Monday – Thursday 8am to 5pm. Friday 8am to 8pm.
Alternative Drop-off Addresses:
Entries must be at the alternate drop off location by end of business day on 9/6/13.
- American Brewmaster in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Bull City Homebrew in Durham, North Carolina
- Big Dan’s Brew Shed in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Alternative Beverage in Belmont, North Carolina
- Bet-Mar Liquid Hobby Shop in Columbia, South Carolina
- Depot Street Brewing in Johnson City, Tennessee
Thank you for choosing to compete in the Blue Ridge Brew Off Homebrew Competition.
The BRBO Organization Team:
Organizer: Mark Stoffan email@example.com
Assistant Organizer: Pam Alexander firstname.lastname@example.org
Judge Coordinator: Adam Reinke email@example.com
Head Steward: Gary Glancy firstname.lastname@example.org
Patron Coordinator: Mark Hebbard email@example.com
Registrar: Owen Halpeny firstname.lastname@example.org
Raffle Coordinator: Kim & Chris Latta email@example.com
IT Specialist: Owen Halpeny & Bruce Jones firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Owen Halpeny email@example.com
Culinary Coordinator: Missy Reinke